Tuesday, 12 February 2008

HYC Week 6 Check In

This has not been a great week on plan, but has been educational in some ways. I discovered that I am not one of those people who can have one splurgey day and then continue on plan, I am strictly an all or nothing type of gal. I know a lot of people who use their weigh in days as a "free day" and eat off plan after they've weighed and then start the new week the next day. I just can't do it. All the bad weeks I've had are the ones where I did that. I need to start as I mean to go on otherwise it's downhill from the get go.

I ate out way too much this week and that is definitely my downfall. It's not because I am tempted necessarily, I am usually good and order something Core plan which is easy to do, but I think the extra sodium and
rich food are my ruin. I started the week on weigh in night with a Chinese New Year dinner at which I definitely used a lot of flex points but didn't splurge on completely. Problem is, I didn't save the week after that. Every meal I've eaten out was like that, not completely bad but not good either and damn! if those points don't add up quickly! Then I stopped tracking everything I was eating which led to ignorance which then led to apathy. I stopped caring and had the odd piece of chocolate and piece of bread, and now here I am the night before WI wondering how the week got away with me so. I am expecting a gain this week, especially after a monumental loss last week. I really need to even this out.

I am struggling a little bit. Scale Junkie mentioned the '6 week itch' and it's certainly true of me. Although I can blame some of it on the PMS monster I think! What worries me is the apathy, of being in a place where I don't have my goals in mind and don't care if I am following plan or not. J was great tonight and talked me out of pizza for dinner, he steered me away from the pizza aisle when we shopped and bought fresh meat and veggies instead and made a nice pasta. If he had left me to myself tonight I would have eaten pizza without a care! I am thinking of switching to the Flex/Points plan this week to give myself a kick and so I can have the pizza and stuff but I think Points might be an even bigger struggle.

So, my goals for the coming week are:
  • To track everything I eat again
  • Cook and plan meals more and not eat out except for planned occasions
  • Put in the gym time
  • Up my water a little bit
NSVs / Things I need to give myself credit for:
  • I didn't jump off the wagon at restaurants even though I've wanted to, eg. at a tapas lunch with colleagues I didn't have the calamari and chorizo, I had chicken salad, poached fish, Spanish tortilla, meatballs and mushrooms, all Core
  • Today I met a friend for coffee and he ate the most amazing slab of chocolate cake right in front of me and even though I could smell it and really wanted a bite I didn't grab it out of his hands!
I hope to have a much more positive post about the great week I had at next week's check in!

8 comments:

Heather said...

I hear you..I had a splurge and gained as a result. it sucks we cant have those days, but in aw ay its a good sign that our bodies are saying NO, do NOT put that food in me!

dont worry about your "itch"..if you can break through this, you will probably have fewer and fewer of these moments.

Great job with all of your NSVs!

Anonymous said...

I hope this week will be better for you. You had some great NSVs, though!

Chanda (aka Bea) said...

Wow, for not having a good week, it sounds like you still have a good attitude. Im impressed with how you worked through some tough situations. Good luck next week, and for what it's worth, I found the flex points a little easier to do because it allowed a little more freedom in food choices.

HappyBlogChick said...

It sounds like you learned a lot this week. That's an important step in this whole process. Good for you for taking note of what works and what doesn't.

Now that you've recognized what isn't working, you can change it and plan on a great week. Yay for new weeks!

Congrats on your NSV's, too.

Anonymous said...

It's good that J is steering you away from temptation!

Funny about the chocolate cake! In the grocery store the other day I had visions of myself grabbing a fresh loaf of garlic bread and burying my face in it, ripping it with my teeth. I was that close!

Grumpy Chair said...

Wow! Score on the NSV!!

If it is the 6 week itch - try baby steps to get back in the groove.

Grumpy Chair said...

Wow! Score on the NSV!!

If it is the 6 week itch - try baby steps to get back in the groove.

Anonymous said...

I think I've said it before....but I love the background of your blog!

I used to be an all or nothing type of gal - but I think when I started giving myself 'permission' to eat anything I wanted, something changed. I'm now able to eat something decadent and not totally throw in the towel the rest of the day or week.

Even though I don't indulge in the junk food often any more (oh, I love kettle chips too!), if I really want them, I do have them but get back with my healthy plan right afterwards.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this is a continued change with me and not just an oddity!

Good luck with your week.

Copyright © 2009 The Thin Girl Within Me All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.