Wednesday, 21 May 2008

HYC Week 20 Check In

Week 20 eh? Wow!

Well, I left SoCal on Sunday and am currently in Milwaukee for the week. It's interesting, and not as bad a place as most Californians would have me believe. It's a nice little city. I'm enjoying the downtime while J works, been hanging out on my own, shopping and exploring.

I'm still having some problems with my hormones or whatever it is that's making me hyper-emotional these days. I think it is a combination of hormones, bad food (been eating pretty badly the whole time I've been away) and also some actual emotional baggage I'm trying to combat. J and I have hit some rocks on and off lately and as much as I try to be positive about it and get off on the right foot, trips back "home" to SoCal are always a little emotionally rocky. For him it's to do with his friends and generally being reminded of why he left, and lately his uncertainty about the future and where he will end up. For me it's linked to that and seeing "the old him" as well as some other specific issues I have that always come to the fore when we're there. I feel better being here in Milwaukee, he's at least hanging out with grown ups! I'm still feeling a bit down but I think that's partly residue from last week and partly the physiological stuff. It will be interesting to see if I do feel a lot better when I'm home next week and eating clean and exercising again.

Right now I'm having breakfast in the hotel but I'm planning to go for a jog along the lakeshore later, and visit the art museum and take some pictures. It's a beautiful sunny day so it's a good day for all of that. We've experienced a whole range of weather since we arrived in the US. The shock of arriving to a cold, cloudy LA subsided when it got really hot and sunny 3 days into the trip. Then it got a little too hot for comfort - I don't handle extreme heat and sunshine too well. Getting to Milwaukee was a shock too. It looks so beautiful and warm but they have the world's most effective natural air conditioner right here, they call it Lake Michigan. We're staying in a hotel in Downtown and the whole place is a giant wind funnel and once that wind blows it's like winter in London. I didn't have a jacket with me (!) so I spent all day yesterday shopping for a coat/jacket which, let me tell you, is not easy this time of year.

We're spending Friday night in Chicago - Yay! I love that city! Then fly home on Saturday. Luckily it's a holiday weekend so we have a day to recover and get out to the shops to fill up the fridge with healthy foods moving forward.

I haven't had a chance to check in with everyone as much as I would like but I'm trying. Hope you are all having a good week and doing well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your trip, Travel safely! You'll get things back on track once you're home. Hope you have a great week!

Heather said...

yay for chicago! we are going to have nice weather here too this weekend. wisconsin is nice too...lots of good breweries and cheese curds! lol.

anyways, I can imagine it would be hard to get back on track with all the trips and traveling so just keep doing your best every day and things will fall back into place. try to not let any extra stress make you eat when you could go do something else to relieve that like a walk.

Anonymous said...

My emotions have been nutso as well lately. I think it is mostly pms but also I've had more sugar in the last few days and I think that is helping boost the mood swings. Not sure if sugar could be something you would be sensitive to but here is hoping you move into smoother sailing soon. It makes it so hard to take good care of diet and exercise when the moods are all screwy and unpredictable. My days can take a total 180 without warning when I'm like that.

Copyright © 2009 The Thin Girl Within Me All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.