Tuesday, 6 May 2008

HYC Week 18 Check In

Gosh, it's come around so fast. But maybe that's because I was so late last week! Another mixed week. I'm pretty sure I haven't lost anything but I'm not feeling bad about it. I'm looking forward to my vacation and I'm already packed and my clothes fit nice so it's all good. :-)

I had a really nice long weekend but it went so fast it was crazy. Three and a half days and it whizzed by even faster than normal weekends. We had our first nice sunny days for the long weekend and on Saturday J and I agreed it would be crazy not to go to a pub with outdoor seating and enjoy an al fresco lunch in the sunshine. We went to this great gastropub I'd been wanting to try and had some nice cold wine and enjoyed the sun and the ambience. And then I fell face first into a plate of fish and chips! I didn't mean to, it just happened. I didn't regret it one bit though, it was amaaaazing. I don't eat fish and chips often but once in a while I love it as a treat and it has to be good stuff, not crappy takeaway chippy junk. This one really hit the spot, it was gourmet and cooked to perfection. I really truly enjoyed it. In fact, I pretty much needed a cigarette afterwards!

It made me think too. I have been trying to stay on the straight and narrow for a few months now and have been eating so clean that to have a dirty treat once in a while feels really fantastic. When I used to eat badly I deprived myself of the satisfaction of having such a treat once in a while because I ate that way all the time, and I realise now I didn't even get to enjoy it. So this has made me think about my upcoming vacation. Most times I go back to the States I pig out on stuff that I think I like just because it's there, because I can't get it all the time. That's not a good enough reason to eat them. I've decided this time I'll allow myself the things I want and not feel bad about it because I'm on vacation, but I won't go into "vacation mode" and give myself a free pass. I will only eat things because I really want them and will really enjoy them, not just because they are available. I might be singing a different tune this time next week but right now I feel like I'm in control.

3 comments:

Heather said...

I think that sounds like a great plan! no reason to deprive yourself or not enjoy some of what a vacation brings (delicious food), but a vacation is also not a reason to go hog wild or you will come back and feel miserable and that is not how you should feel at all. enjoy yourself!

Anonymous said...

You're singing my song regarding holidays in the States. Last year I think I gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks while visiting friends and family. This year, I'd rather not do that! I think you're onto something about making choices but not going into 'vaca mode'.

Felicia said...

"I will only eat things because I really want them and will really enjoy them, not just because they are available."

I love this! This is exactly what I do now. Its amazing how it changes your mind about food.

Have a super day!

*huggles*
=0)

Copyright © 2009 The Thin Girl Within Me All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.