Friday, 14 March 2008

A new addiction?

I've read in several blogs about people's addiction to the scales and how they have had to wean themselves off them, and now it's my turn. Over the past week I have started to weigh myself daily and then more than once daily, and I can see how it becomes an obsessive/addictive habit. The dumb thing is, I know I am prone to this, which is why I haven't owned a set of bathroom scales for years. I know I would become obsessed with it and I also believe in weighing once a week on the same day and the same time of day to get a more accurate picture of loss/gain as your weight fluctuates so much throughout the day and from day to day. I finally bought new scales a few weeks ago because I have started ebaying stuff (including my fat clothes!) and wanted to weigh stuff for postage charges (and also luggage for travel). I naively thought that since I am now weighing weekly at WW I might be disciplined and stay off the home scales. Oh, what a fool I am! I may need to get J to hide them, as Krissie did with her husband a while ago. The worst thing is, I've done worse since weighing more! Doh!!

On a nice note, my boss today mentioned he'd noticed I'd lost weight. He was embarassed after he mentioned it, he was worried he'd been too personal, but I was really flattered. I got a few compliments today because I wore one of my favourite dresses to work today which is a cute 60s style casual dress. I don't wear it that often because to be honest it never fit me as well as it does now but apparently it flatters me. Boss said you could really tell in the dress because of the shape (2 other people said the same thing) but he could also see it in my face. I think my cheekbones are coming out of hiding and my other chins are disappearing! I really needed the ego boost with the gain this week so it was nice to hear it.

But then Boss took me out to lunch! And it was an indulgent one. It was fine dining, so the food was rich but at least the portions were small! We had wine too. I had a broccoli and stilton soup to start, then steak with gorgeous home made chunky chips (I ate a few, not all of them). I turned down dessert and just had coffee although Boss, having just told me again how impressed he was with my weight loss, tried to talk me into a chocolate pudding! And for my American readers, this is not one of those dessert pots you find in the fridge at the supermarket. Oh no, we're talking real English chocolate pudding which is essentially a dense, gooey cake oozing with chocolate. In other words, pure evil!! He recommended it at this restaurant, it is made on the premises and he said it was worth it just to have them serve it to you because they bring the whole pudding and spoon a big steaming lump of it onto the plate right in front of you! I would have happily watched them do that with awe if he had ordered it but didn't want to eat it myself so I politely declined. Some day though, I will go back there and order it!

I did have a little bit of a colleague's birthday cake in the office later though. But as of tonight I am back on plan and intend to have a squeaky clean OP weekend.

2 comments:

Heather said...

that is definitely kind of ironic that the boss would compliment you on losing weight but then treat you to a very indulgent meal!

but Im glad people are noticing, and put that scale away if its starting to become obsessive. in one of my many other attempts at losing weight I was compulsive too and therefore very unhappy because I would get upset over the fluctuations. thats no way to live and reminds me of what my bulimic sister does so I stopped. just figure out how you can have a healthy relationship with the scale and then stick to it.

Hanlie said...

That's a major NSV when people start to notice! Well done!

Copyright © 2009 The Thin Girl Within Me All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.