Monday, 16 February 2009

A weekend of luuuuuuuuuuuuuuurve

I hit the Monday blues in a big way this morning, I had such a nice weekend! We had a really great Valentine's day. (Actually we really dragged it out, for a couple days!) We never really make a big thing of it and I've never cared that much about Valentine's day, but it was nice to make an effort this year and be kind of slushy because this time last year our relationship was a bit rocky so it was kind of a washout.

Friday afternoon I got an email from our Postroom with the subject line
"Somebody loves you" and the message "Come down and collect your flowers yourself or we will deliver them and embarrass you" and this is what had arrived for me:I definitely wasn't expecting that. And a little part of me hoped they were from a stalker rather than my boyfriend!! Hee. But they were indeed from my sweet boyfriend and I was really glad I had already bought him a gift and it had arrived in time. (I got him iLife 09 for his Mac. It's a romantic gift if you live with a techie, trust me.) After work we went out for a lovely dinner at one of our favourite restaurants as we'd planned, and had a really nice time.

Saturday was a full day. We observed the day with romance and slushiness but it was a very mixed day of activity which included an ebay buyer picking up a purchase from us, a quick trip to the dentist for me, a visit with my dad and cousin, and visiting my mum at the cemetery. We finished stuff up early in the day so that we could come home and spend some quality time together though. I cooked dinner, which was a success.

This was pork tenderloin stuffed with lemony spinach, chorizo and caramelised onion. A recipe from Eat the Right Stuff, but I did it without the breadcrumbs and instead of the rice I served it with garlic roasted butternut squash and sweet potatoes. It was all very yummy.
We ate it by this candlelight with this pink Champagne:

I really wanted a nice dessert but didn't want to blow it and eat off plan so while J had profiteroles I made these for myself - dark Belgian chocolate-dipped strawberries. They were delicious and decadent and very Valentines inspired so I was pleased with them. They don't look so great in this picture what with the cling film (Saran Wrap) and the mess but, yum! I had them with some light mascarpone drizzled with more of the melted chocolate.

Then yesterday J was out so I baked up a belated Valentines storm. I had wanted to make these on Saturday but hadn't had time to do it. I've always been one for dragging out a celebration anyway! I made these Valentine cupcakes - red velvet cupcakes with buttercream icing and chocolate snaps, as inspired by Recipe Girl. I was really pleased with how well they turned out, although I wish I'd had a smaller cookie cutter for slightly smaller hearts. The amazing thing is, I didn't eat a single crumb, I just really enjoyed making them and am loving watching J and others enjoying eating them. He was thrilled when he came home last night to a table literally covered in cupcakes!

Ah. So when is the next holiday? And what can I bake for it?

2 comments:

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

oh, I got teary eyed reading about your weekend of luv! What a beautiful celebration!

Heather said...

sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! the flowers are beautiful!

Copyright © 2009 The Thin Girl Within Me All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.