I went to a friend's housewarming/baby shower yesterday and ended up eating some dubious processed food. I am so unimpressed with it all, and with myself. These guys don't have a lot of money and their "caterers" were Iceland, a cheap supermarket chain that specialises in frozen foods (as the name suggests) so it was wall to wall finger foods that are, I'm guessing, deep fried in origin and then reheated in the oven. J and I are total food (and I guess general) snobs so this was a tough one for us to face. We did bring a contribution to the buffet, in the form of Kettle Chips, fresh dip, Brussels pate, humous and wholemeal pita bread, and pretty much hovered next to those all night! We hadn't intended to stay long so I hadn't filled myself up beforehand, thinking we would make an appearance and then go home to cook something good for dinner. We ended up staying for a while and I got hungry and had to stop hogging the humous so I had a piece of (awful) pizza, spring roll and other bits off the buffet table. Now, given the fact that I never ever eat this kind of food, I have been paying for it the rest of the weekend. I feel poisoned. Last night I slept really restlessly, had horrible dreams, and woke up feeling feverish and sick. Seriously, I felt just awful, and I can't put it down to anything but the food. Am I being harsh, do you think? Is it maybe psychosomatic?
I couldn't eat after the party, even though we hadn't had dinner. J ate less than I did (he's much more squeamish about food than I am, he sees food poisoning in a lot of things whereas I just turn my nose up!) so we stopped at Nando's, our favourite fast food haunt, on the way home so he could get some dinner. For those who don't know it, it's Portugese Peri Peri chicken and is only sem-fast food and pretty good and relatively healthy for fast food, and is so good. I usually love Nando's and they do the best cous cous salad but I couldn't even stomach that. I felt like the only thing I could eat was something that felt and tasted completely 100% clean, so I just had some fruit and lots of water.
Never again, my friends. I will never touch anything like that again, even if I feel starving hungry. I ate clean today to try and detox it out of my system. I hope it doesn't show on the scale at WI this week too, that would make me so mad because it wasn't even in any way worth it. I mean, if I had gone to some other party and eaten my way through a cheeseboard and sushi and fresh homemade brownies I'd be all, ok fair enough, but this? So not worth it.
Sunday, 29 June 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Contributors
Labels
- Alcohol (1)
- Baby (10)
- Clothes (3)
- Compliments (1)
- Eating out (4)
- Exercise (11)
- Food (7)
- General update (7)
- Goals (2)
- Health (3)
- Healthy You Challenge (66)
- Holidays (7)
- Hunger (2)
- Moods (3)
- Moving (1)
- Property purchase (7)
- Random musings (1)
- Setbacks (2)
- Sickness (4)
- Social events (5)
- Weekends (2)
- Weigh in (8)
- Weightwatchers (2)

3 comments:
I ate clean today to try and detox it out of my system.
------
perfect plan and GREAT insight about it not just being the food but the fact that it wasnt fanTIZtastic that bummed you out.
thanks so much for the insights on my blog.
Im all about finding the stinky fruit now!
Miz.
aw sorry that you had a bad reaction to all that food! I know how you feel though, whenever I go somewhere and eat a lot of bad processed food, my body definitely pays me back. but good for you for bringing some healthy choices to the party.
We all do that... eating crap that is SO not worth it! I hate it when I do that to myself!
Post a Comment