Monday, 30 June 2008

Body Attack... in more ways than one

I decided it was time to face my fears of group exercise and go to a class at the gym today instead of doing my usual lone workout. I'm not sure what came over me, I have had an aversion to classes for some time and haven't ventured into one for years (not counting a couple of recent Spinning classes which I classify less as group exercise, more a form of torture). This Body Attack class came recommended by a colleague so I bit the bullet and gingerly tiptoed in, hoping the group exercise monster wouldn't eat me. It was pretty much like an old school aerobics class to me, and I actually enjoyed the deja vu nostalgia of it! It was tough but fun and I think I may have overcome my inhibitions and make it more of a regular thing. I've been meaning to up my cardio and shake up my routine a little bit and I think I'll add this and some Spinning (oh yes, my masochism knows no bounds!) classes to my gym schedules. Wish me luck - and a high pain threshold!

The other body subject I wanted to touch upon is that of self body image. I had an interesting conversation the other day with my fellow fatfighter in the office, when I showed her Gettin' Shrunk's progress pics. If you haven't seen them, check them out, it's quite a transformation in pictures and very amazing and inspiring to me. So, my friend asked me which of the pictures I relate to right now, as in which of those is the stage I think I'm at, and I said the one at 219lbs. She said that's interesting because she (and, presumably, the rest of the world) sees me more as the 202lbs pic. Same for her, she sees herself as the pic that is 20lbs heavier than I see her. Do we all have this low self-image of our bodies? What I find even more interesting is, it works the other way around too. I have read more than one or two blog posts in which people talk about how good they think they look until they see a photo of themselves, and I can totally relate to that too. Isn't that weird?


3 comments:

Heather said...

good for you! I also have an aversion to the gym. I hate people watching me exercise. but I do find that when I have gone to a class, it is a lot of fun.

you are so right about body image and the way people carry their weight. sometimes I hate that I will never have stick thin legs and be super thin, but I am also 5'9 and just not built that way and look completely differnet at this weight than someone at 5'2 would. so its all relative and we really do need to just stop comparing ourselves to others and accept the way our body is and love it.

Anonymous said...

That is so true! We are our worst critics. Have you ever seen the show "how to look good naked". There is a segment where they bring in a bunch of woman of ascending sizes of one particular bady part (butt, waist, thighs...) and the one lady has to place herself in line according to where she fits in. They always choose like 2+ sizes then they actually are! Its crazy what we put ourselves through, mentally!

ANd my the way...beware of spinning classes! I've done them in the past, and those seats are crazy small for my rather large bootie! Bring one of those gel bike seats, if you value your badonkadunk! Great work out though!!! =)

Anonymous said...

I was the girl who felt great until she saw a photo of herself. I fooled myself by thinking that my clothes were still fitting me (albeit badly) so I looked the same. I saw some photos and felt physically ill. I still don't like seeing some photos and it really depends on the day or time sometimes! But I'm getting there!

Great post!

Copyright © 2009 The Thin Girl Within Me All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.