What can I say? I checked in on time last week but it didn't last! In my defence, it's silly season and I've been kept busy with numerous Christmas events. I'm also sick right now, perhaps not helped by overdoing it but I'm still going to blame my colleagues who have all been passing around this nasty cold and cough combo.
Our little gathering last Saturday was really nice and I did OK except for a good deal of cheese and even more mulled wine. Man, I love that stuff. I actually think it's too good to only have at Christmas but I'm glad it's not around all year or I would be in trouble. On Sunday we went to a friend's house for their Christmas gathering and I drank yet more of it. I bought ours but theirs was homemade, the real thing mulled to perfection. She is German and is big on Christmas traditions so she wouldn't hear of buying ready mulled stuff, and I am so glad, it was so delicious. So I started the week with mulled wine coursing through my veins. It's something of a combination of bad hangover and diabetic coma!
Tuesday was my office Christmas party. I had a great time. Drank way too much and hardly had anything to eat, but danced my little toes off. It was a good night, although I had to watch my boss and other senior management dancing on podiums which gave me the uneasy feeling of watching my dad at a family wedding! Ick!!
It's no wonder I got sick I suppose. I took the day off on Friday and let it get full blown! I'm really mad that it got me so close to Christmas, I hope to shake it in a few days though.
It probably goes without saying that food and exercise have taken a long dive out the window. I haven't been to the gym in a week, first because of social events and then because I was getting sick. I haven't been taking too much care with food. I'm kind of conscious but not totally controlled, if that makes sense.
In the last couple of days I've been thinking seriously about it all. I have made next to no progress this year and am trying to decide what my next step is. I am giving myself a good talking to and trying to be realistic in moving forward. While WW has worked for me in the past and I did ok on it for a while last year, things have halted and my heart just isn't in it now. I'm not convinced the new plan is for me, as the constant point counting just doesn't fit my lifestyle that well. The 2 most successful plans for me so far have been WW and South Beach. I lost the most weight on South Beach and have been considering going back on it. Last night I started reading a really fun book which speaks to me, and the plan they focus on is a high protein low carb diet which is their combination of various plans including South Beach and GI. The book is called Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet and I happened upon it by accident, at a charity book sale. I'm finding it really easy to read, and totally hilarious, it's very honest and outspoken and I do relate to the women who wrote it. I may give it a try after the new year, after all the madness and festivities are up. I don't believe in waiting until "tomorrow" or making new years resolutions much, but it says, and I totally agree, to not embark on this at the wrong time as it is setting yourself up for failure.
My main concern with it though, is how low carb plans might affect exercise. I definitely won't give up exercise and want it to be effective but will cutting down carbs drastically make it less efficient? There are different opinions on it and it's hard to know who or what to believe. Any thoughts?
Anyway, I'll leave you while I continue with the book and think about it some more. And concentrate on getting better. Have a great week and see you here in a couple of days - I'm planning to make the last 2 check ins of the year on time!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Contributors
Labels
- Alcohol (1)
- Baby (10)
- Clothes (3)
- Compliments (1)
- Eating out (4)
- Exercise (11)
- Food (7)
- General update (7)
- Goals (2)
- Health (3)
- Healthy You Challenge (66)
- Holidays (7)
- Hunger (2)
- Moods (3)
- Moving (1)
- Property purchase (7)
- Random musings (1)
- Setbacks (2)
- Sickness (4)
- Social events (5)
- Weekends (2)
- Weigh in (8)
- Weightwatchers (2)

No comments:
Post a Comment