Sunday, 12 October 2008

Pointy McFlexerson and her hormones

I'm finally on top of it all now. I've made 2 changes this week worth noting and they both seem to be making a difference, thankfully.

First of all, as intended I've switched back to the Points/Flex plan. Right now this does seem to be the thing that works for me. Core didn't seem to be doing anything for me lately. Based on what I've read and heard it seems that everyone plateaus on Core after a while, I'm guessing this is to do with a combination of finally missing those non-Core foods and not reducing portion sizes to match your lower body weight. Points is definitely the way I have to train myself about responsible portions! I'm also getting a lot of variety in my meals now, eating those foods that are restricted or forbidden on Core.

The other thing I've done this week is go back on the Pill. Based on some research and a chat with my doctor I began to suspect that my body's reluctance to shift weight is linked to hormones. I have PCOS, which was regulated by the Pill for the last few years and I came off it earlier this year because I didn't seem to be able to find one that suited me perfectly. I have tried about 5 different brands over the years and each one had a different side effect. What I didn't realise was how much worse I would be without it! I had forgotten what it was like to have a TOM for real (having not had a real one for something like 8 years!) and I have been crazy with depressed behaviour and out of control eating like never before, or at least not that I remember. I have also been gaining weight steadily even with all the exercise and reasonably healthy eating. I haven't been perfect lately (thanks to insane appetite and cravings) but I haven't been bingeing on lard or anything, and I certainly don't think I was eating badly enough to deserve the numbers the scale has been throwing at me for a while. When I mentioned it to my (new) doctor last week she asked how long I've been having trouble and I said since May. Then she asked me when I came of the Pill and I said, "Ummmm...April or May" and that's when the lightbulb lit up! She's sending me for some tests this week, blood hormones and stuff. In the meantime, I started taking the Pill again and I'm not kidding, the cravings and the appetite have gone away. I no longer feel out of control, and it's been a long time since I remember feeling this way.

I have only had one bad day this week and that was purely because it was a colleague's leaving drinks and a pretty heavy night. I had great ideas of going for one spritzer and then going to the gym (which is right by that pub) and heading home for dinner. But let's just say things didn't quite go that way! Let's just say there was alcohol and then pub food and then a late night trip to a Korean restaurant. Although, to be fair, I didn't eat as much as I usually would and hardly had anything at the Korean, and have more than made up for it the rest of the week with eating and exercise.

So let's see how things go from here. I hope this new controlled me is here to stay. I also hope I can get to the bottom of things medically after the tests this week. The numbers on the scale are more pleasant right now, and J made a couple of unprompted comments recently that he's noticed some changes in my body and that I have a lot more energy. And just for one huge NSV, and it is huge for me - I have been totally OP all weekend without a struggle, and gone to the gym both days. *pats self on back*

2 comments:

Heather said...

great job this week! sounds like you are on top of things and making some great decisions to help keep this journey going for you in the best way possible.

Lovebug6100 said...

Reading your posts, they sound just like something I'd write....I just started taking a new pill too, I was taking Loestrin 24Fe, never got a period, couldn't lose weight...started taking FemConFe...I like it....but it sucks when your body is imbalanced and can't get it straight!

Copyright © 2009 The Thin Girl Within Me All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.