Tuesday, 21 October 2008

HYC Week 42 Check In

OK Mr Scale, what gives?! It's been a pretty good week. I haven't been perfect but I haven't really gone over my points either. I haven't exercised as much as last week but I haven't been a total slacker either. What's the problem? How can I be a couple of pounds up again?

Well, I think TOM is approaching which doesn't help. Also, there was a reasonable amount of drinking this week which also really doesn't help. Grrrrrr!

Thinking Thin Too posted a great article about Why the Scale Lies which is just what I needed right now. A great reminder of the many reasons I am feeling the frustration I am right now. I do constantly remind myself that although the numbers on the scale can be a good indicator of success in some ways, I shouldn't focus too much on them and be pleased with the NSVs too, but it's not always easy. While I am a firm believer in WW and their program, I do think the emphasis they place on the scale puts a pressure on us that can sometimes be unhealthy. Last week I got down to the last notch on my belt, this week I comfortably got back into a pair of jeans I haven't been able to wear for months, I'm seeing and feeling the difference in my body, I'm getting comments from people around me, etc etc, and yet if I go to WI tomorrow and get told I gained 2-3 lbs this week I will feel like shit. It's all very well to tell yourself it's water retention or muscle gain or natural fluctuations, blah blah blah, and it's not that I don't believe it, I do already know all the stuff the article says and most of the time I'm pretty level headed about it, but with the struggles I've had with Mr Scale lately I'm frustrated and a little bit sensitive when he acts like a mean old bugger!

2 comments:

Heather said...

oh you KNOW that I can relate to your frustration. it sucks when you work your butt off and the scale doesn't cooperate. but that article is fantastic in understanding the science of the scale so just focus on the positives and try to not let the scale get you down. just keep doing your best and the scale will reflect that.

Anonymous said...

Hope the WI goes well

Copyright © 2009 The Thin Girl Within Me All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.