I'm still here! I'm in the home stretch of my pregnancy and look and feel ready to pop! I finished working last week but it's been a dramatic time since then so I haven't really had the chance to enjoy it yet.
The first day of my maternity leave was my birthday and that evening my left leg started to swell up and was a little painful and hard to walk on. I waited until the next day to call the midwife as I thought maybe it would go away if I elevated it overnight, but it was no better so I made the call and they told me to come in and get it looked at. Since it was a weekend the Maternity unit sent me to Emergency as they said they would be better equipped and staffed to deal with it so I ended up spending a few hours being assessed there. They suspected Deep Vein Thrombosis which was scary. I received a blood thinner injection and was told to come back the next day for another, and then back again Monday to get an ultrasound on the leg after which they would review the results and formulate a plan of action. I was really freaked out as this would have had serious implications for the pregnancy. Anyway, the story has a happy ending. There was no clot and it was all a false alarm. The doctor said it looked like I had strained the knee and the swelling was inflammation, not helped by the extra fluid and weight gain at this stage of my pregnancy. He ordered me to stay off it as much as I could and generally rest more than I have been. I was so relieved.
At the same time, my dad had bypass surgery. Great timing huh? That's one of the reasons I've been rushing around and had so much on my plate. I told you, the drama never stops around here. What a year it's been indeed - what else could possibly happen?! Dad is doing fine now though, the surgery went well and he's making a speedy recovery.
Now that things are settling down I'd like to finally get some of that rest, and enjoy being a lady of leisure for just a short while before my life changes forever! I went to lunch with some of the other ladies from my antenatal class last week and it felt exciting to be a lady who lunches, and enjoy a whole afternoon in good company. Three (out of eight) ladies in the group have had their babies now and none of the births have been straightforward so I am really crossing my fingers that I will be the one who has a good one! Both Hubby and I are getting nervous now as the big day approaches, although we are totally excited too.
Monday, 23 November 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Contributors
Labels
- Alcohol (1)
- Baby (10)
- Clothes (3)
- Compliments (1)
- Eating out (4)
- Exercise (11)
- Food (7)
- General update (7)
- Goals (2)
- Health (3)
- Healthy You Challenge (66)
- Holidays (7)
- Hunger (2)
- Moods (3)
- Moving (1)
- Property purchase (7)
- Random musings (1)
- Setbacks (2)
- Sickness (4)
- Social events (5)
- Weekends (2)
- Weigh in (8)
- Weightwatchers (2)

1 comment:
so glad to hear from you! glad that you are ok and that the thrombosis didnt turn into anything too serious. hang in there!
Post a Comment